AW’s Onion Rings
March 2, 2010
- Sliced and separated Spanish onions
- Pan or bowl of water
- Pan or bowl of all purpose flour (I also mix in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes; to taste)
- Pan or bowl of melted vanilla ice milk
- Pan or bowl of ground corn meal
- Cookie sheet for air drying
- Place above items on counter in order listed.
- Dip onion in water, then flour (shake off excess), dip in melted ice milk, then corn meal.
- Gently shake off excess and place on cookie sheet to air dry for at least 20 minutes.
- Fry until browned.
- Sifting the flour and corn meal once in a while keeps lumps out and makes it easier to coat the rings
- When placing on cookie sheets to save room, lean on top of each other to allow entire ring to dry.