AW’s Classic Fried Catfish
Prep (15 mins); Fry (6 mins per batch)
NOTE: For an extra crispy crust, use stone-ground yellow cornmeal.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 catfish fillets (about 3 3/4 pounds)
- vegetable oil
1. combine cornmeal, flour, red pepper, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of salt in a large shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish fillets evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and dredge in combined mixture, coating evenly.
2. pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven (or deep fryer); heat to 350 degrees. Fry fillets in batches for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.