- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper, divided
- 4 catfish fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- vegetable oil
- 12 unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 very thin cooked ham slices, cut into strips
- garnish: lemon wedges
1. combine eggs and milk, stirring until well blended
2. combine flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge again in flour mixture.
3. pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven (or deep fryer); heat to 360 degrees. Fry fillets for 6 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
4. Peel fresh shrimp and devein.
5. melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add shrimp and garlic; cook, stirring often, until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp, reserving drippings in skillet.
6. Stir vermouth into reserved drippings; bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Add whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of green onions, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper; cook, stirring often, 12 to 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
7. Place catfish on a serving plate, drizzle with sauce. Top with shrimp and ham; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of green onions.
8. Garnish, if desired.