Classic Fettuccine Alfredo
- 3/4 pound uncooked fettuccine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy or whipped cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash each white pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (about 3 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cook fettuccine according to package directions; drain. Set aside in large saucepan.
Place butter and cream in large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until butter melts and mixture bubbles. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in cheese until thoroughly blended and smooth. Return briefly to heat to blend cheese completely if necessary. (Do not let sauce bubble or cheese will become lumpy and tough.)
Pour sauce over fettuccine in pan. Stir and toss with 2 forks over low heat 2 to 3 minutes until sauce is thickened and fettuccine is evenly coated. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Makes 4 servings.