AW’s Cranberry Sauce
January 10, 2012
- 5 bags cranberries; rinsed with bad berries removed
- dark Caribbean rum – 2 1⁄2 cups
- sweet white wine (moscato) – 2 1⁄2 cups
- zest and juice of one medium-sized orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 dashes ground nutmeg
- brown sugar (to taste)
- Put cloves & cinnamon stick (break up into smaller pieces) onto coffee filter and tie up so that all items are inside filter packet.
- In tall-sided pot bring rum, wine, orange juice/zest, and brown sugar to a rolling boil. Put in clove/cinnamon stick packet and let boil for 5 minutes. Remove packet and discard.
- Add berries and stir well. Return to boil then reduce heat to low. This is going to take a while to cook down to the consistency you like. Can use a potato masher to break up any berries that did not pop open. Stir often.
- Add more brown sugar (to taste) until you get a good zangy hit of tartness followed by a mellowing bit of sweetness. Stir often.
- Let cool completely. Will keep for weeks!