AW’s Green Bean Casserole
January 10, 2012
- Fresh green beans; ends cut off and strings removed
- Yellow Onion
- Bacon Grease
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (2)
- French-fried Onions (or use bread crumbs or crumbled Ritz crackers)
- Heavy cream (½ soup can amount)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
NOTE: All ingredient amounts are “to taste”. This is my favorite style of cooking ’cause you just toss it all together and tweak it until you find the taste you are looking for.
- Preheat oven to 375° (F).
- In a deep pot, saute yellow onion and garlic in some extra virgin olive oil until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add green beans and 1½ teaspoon of bacon grease. Cover beans with water and boil until beans are semi-soft.
- Drain beans and return to the cooking pot. Add one can of soup and heavy cream. Stir until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to greased casserole dish. Spread evenly and cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake until soup is heated through and cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and cover casserole with second can of soup. Top with french-fried onions (or other options) and bake for 10-15 minutes more.